Thursday, August 14, 2014

5 Tips to Keep Kinders busy!


The first few weeks of school can be awful stressful...  But some of the best advice I can give you is to keep those Kinders busy!

Here are 5 tips to help you keep them busy:

One of the first things I did each day after turning on my computer was to open my Movement Songs flipchart.  I wanted it to be open each day so I could have easy access to it if my little ones were getting fidgety.  I created a flip chart by hyper linking all the songs from you tube.  You can also do this in ppt.  

If you don't have a smart board, keep a CD in your computer or have your iTunes open for easy access.



Do your kids use book boxes???

Teach them to quietly grab their book box and read silently when they finish their work early.  This will prevent them from distracting their neighbors at their desks.



Another option might be to pick an extra activity such as the listening center or silently re-tell the book of the week.  Our library would have some retelling puppets that I tried to grab.




Laminate (or stick in page protectors) a stack of alphabet pages.  Keep some dry erase markers handy.  If you finish a lesson early or have some extra time, pass out the markers and laminated pages for some handwriting and fine motor practice.  

You can snag this one free by clicking the picture!
 
Make sure to create interactive anchor charts or flipcharts for your students.  We all know at this age, they can only sit for so long...

But- keep them engaged with charts and activities they can participate in!  They will be more likely to pay better attention to you and their peers if you give them the chance to be the teacher!



Do you have any tips to share on keeping kinders busy???

1 comment:

  1. I use my mini pocket charts for sequencing letter or number cards. It's a simple activity & good practice when you have just a few minutes to use. I love your book boxes all lined up on that shelf! I'm still trying to figure out where mine can go!
    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete